Thursday, July 31, 2014

What is Inventory Madness?

This is a blog about managing and organizing inventory in the virtual world Second Life. Second Life offers an enormous variety of items for sale, and one of the biggest challenges people face when they shop is managing their inventory. Having a large inventory does not need to make finding things difficult. Properly managing your inventory can keep the overall size of your inventory down, increasing performance, without sacrificing having the items you love at your finger tips.

This blog will consist of a series of articles where I will teach some basic skills and tricks for managing inventory. I will try and record some videos as we go along. I anticipate writing at least the following set of articles.
  • Creating a useful inventory structure.
  • Using a base shape. 
  • Cleaning up your My Outfits folder. 
  • Using filters to see what is new. 
  • Organize how you think. 
  • Making copies and keeping backups.
  • Catznip outfits folder.
  • How to host an inventory party.
All screen shots and details will be written using the default Linden Lab viewer. They should carry over to most other v3 based TPVs without much issue. I will do one article specifically on a feature that exists in the Catznip viewer (I cant say if it works in others).

About Me:

Yes that is a little octopus on my head.
You might be thinking..."Hey! who the heck are you and what makes you such an inventory expert?" I have been in Second Life since early 2011 as an active participant. In that time I have become a shop and estate owner, helped dozens of new people acclimate to Second Life and become long term residents, and spent more than my fair share of time shopping. Being an avid shopper, and an estate owner, means having a lot of inventory. At my peak I was over 60,000 items. Today my inventory hovers around 25,000. I am able to keep it there even though I continue to shop regularly (daily).

No comments:

Post a Comment